Friday, 28 January 2011

Garfunkel's Chicken Parmigiana or 5 Ways to Entertain Yourself in a Crisis

Today I become free of the revision-shackles of the past three weeks. It feels like it has been years. But it’s all behind me now (or will be within a few hours). To celebrate, I have decided to list for you the 5 best ways to keep yourself amused while bored.

I have extensive experience on this subject, because I am very often bored. It is a consequence of not doing much, or doing revision. And often you will have to take it upon yourself to find something to do.

1. Start a Blog

I can vouch for this one. In fact, just a few weeks ago I was bored and decided to start a blog. You may have noticed. If you have had a genius idea that everybody must know about immediately, this is the way to go. Otherwise, you probably just felt like sitting in front of your computer and actually doing something with the internet that isn’t keeping up to date with the social climate (Facebook) or perusing the fine art that is cats with captions (I Can Haz Cheezburger).*

2. Play a Game

Well that was obvious. When you’re bored, do something fun! Games are a fine example of fun. For example, who hasn’t at one point in their life thought “I would so much rather be playing Jenga right now” or “Ooh, that would make a good Scrabble word!” – nobody, that’s who.

3. Go and Annoy Somebody

This is a delicate one. You would be wise to choose somebody who is not easily motivated by revenge, because your legs are precious and you would be better off keeping them. Also has limited scope as whoever you annoy will eventually decide to ignore you or annoy you back (see comment re: your legs).

4. The Internet

Little more needs to be said. You know what to do.

5. Plan an Assault

Nothing can keep one so amused as tactical warfare.** Pick a building, preferably one you know the layout of or have detailed blueprints of lying around. Clear a large table, and a long stretch of time, and make sure you are meticulous in your details. For example, how many exits are there, and who is going to be guarding each one? If one of your friends has a short attention span, this is not the job for him, so maybe put him in the offensive unit.***

Once your assault is planned, take a good long look at the result. Was there something productive you could have been doing while you did that? Did it take you a really long time? Was there any point in it really? If the answers to these questions are yes, yes and no, then you have successfully entertained yourself. Well done.

Admittedly my definition of crisis in the title is a bit loose and in the end amounts to "when you are bored". But nobody likes to be bored, especially when you now have 5 things you can do about it.


* I mention these because that is how I spend the majority of my time, not as a satirical jibe at the ignorance of society today.
** Except maybe the fine art that is cats with captions.
*** Or better yet, on the defending team (your choice of rebels/insurgents etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment